Trenton man accused in Smalley slaying arrested in Newark after alleged carjack shooting

A man accused of shooting and killing Enrico Smalley Jr. was arrested in Essex County last week after he allegedly shot a man in the face during a carjacking in Newark.

Prosecutors disclosed that information on the record Friday at Shaheed Brown’s bail hearing, and said that Brown was not charged with the Newark shooting because the victim, who is a Trenton resident, chose not to press charges.

“The victim didn’t want to move forward with pressing charges,” Mercer County Assistant Prosecutor Brian McCauley said. Read more

Dyquise Leonard pleads guilty in connection with Rayshawn Ransom murder

One of the three men charged in connection with the shooting death of Rayshawn Ransom pled guilty Tuesday to one count of attempted murder.
Read more

Dashawn Bethea indicted in connection with the 2013 shooting death of Berkley McDaniel

A city man has been indicted in connection with the 2013 shooting death of 61-year-old Berkley McDaniel.

Around 8:45 p.m. on June 9, 2013, police found McDaniel lying on the sidewalk in the 400 block of Stuyvesant Avenue suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. McDaniel was pronounced dead at the scene.

In January, Dashawn Bethea, 25, was arrested in connection with McDaniel’s death. And a Mercer County grand jury returned a five-count indictment last week charging Bethea with first-degree murder, second-degree aggravated assault, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, unlawful possession of a handgun and certain persons not to possess a weapon. Read more

Two suspects in Trenton murders reject plea deals, will go to trial

A suspect in four New Jersey murders was offered 40 years in prison Monday for guilty pleas to his two alleged slayings in Mercer County last summer.

Alton Jones, 23, appeared before Mercer Superior Court Judge Pedro Jimenez along with his suspected accomplice in the first murder, Dyquise Leonard, who rejected a deal giving him 13 years in prison. Read more

Trenton man arrested in Newark in connection with murder of Enrico Smalley Jr.

A city man was arrested Saturday in connection with the murder of 20-year-old Enrico Smalley Jr.

Around 1:20 a.m. on July 12, police were dispatched to the corner of Poplar Street and North Clinton Avenue, where they found Smalley lying on the sidewalk in front of La Guira Bar suffering from multiple gunshot wounds, including one to the head. Smalley was taken to Capital Health Regional Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead. Read more

Robert Byers indicted on murder charges in connection with Devon Hewitt’s death

A suspect who fled to Florida after allegedly fatally shooting construction worker and DJ Devon Hewitt in 2013 has been indicted on murder charges.

Robert E. Byers, 36, of Mott Street, who was nabbed in Miami in March, was indicted on first-degree murder and weapons charges after Assistant Mercer County Prosecutor Kimm Lacken presented the case to a grand jury. Read more

Teen charged with Devahje Bing slaying named in court

A teenager charged with shooting and killing Devahje Bing at a West Ward cookout in 2013 was named in public for the first time Thursday as a juvenile who was under house arrest at the time.

Tahj Laws was 15 on May 25 last year when he allegedly left his home on Trenton’s Nassau Street and, as tracked by the security monitor on his ankle, walked to the cookout on nearby Oakland Street. Read more

Trenton member of Bloods street gang pleads guilty to 2011 murder

One alleged gang member admitted Wednesday to killing a member of a rival gang in retaliation for being robbed at gunpoint by the rival only days before in December of 2011.

Emil Fennell, 26, told Mercer Superior Court Judge Robert Billmeier he fired three shots into Shawn Marinnie and pumped one more into him when he was down along 800 block of Stuyvesant Avenue.
Read more

Douglas Battle pleads guilty to 2012 slaying of Wilfredo “Murder Marty’’ Rivera

An ambush killer who beat up a corrections officer when he landed in jail plead guilty today in a deal slating him for 20 years in prison.

Douglas Battle, 23, pleaded guilty to aggravated manslaughter for gunning down convicted killer Wilfredo “Murder Marty’’ Rivera, 32, on Oakland Street in the West Ward on June 23, 2012.
Read more

Teenager accused of murder charged as adult, rejects plea deal

Teenager Masiyah Howard appeared in adult court today to hear that he can get out of prison at age 65 if he pleads guilty now to a 2013 killing that caused racial strife in Chambersburg.

Assistant Mercer County Prosecutor Lew Korngut made the 52-year offer to Howard for pleas to aggravated manslaughter, robbery and weapons offenses for the gunshot killing of Louis Bryan Alvarez on Feb. 26 of last year.
Read more