Brunswick Pharmacy killer finally gets sent to prison

Jamar Myers (N.J. Department of Corrections Photo)

Jamar Myers (N.J. Department of Corrections Photo)

The gunman who shot and killed a beloved Trenton pharmacist in April 2011 is now serving hard time in the state prison system.

Jamar Myers, 31, of Lalor Street in Hamilton Township, is doing 30 years behind bars for murdering Brunswick Pharmacy owner Sri Arjun Reddy Dyapa, 54, during the commission of a robbery.

The incident occurred April 29, 2011, when Myers walked into the pharmacy demanding drugs and shot Dyapa once in the chest when the victim refused to comply.Read more

Jury convicts gunman for murdering U.S. Army vet, stuffing body in car trunk

Danuweli Keller (left) and Mack Edwards

Danuweli Keller (left) and Mack Edwards

A 12-member jury has unanimously found Danuweli Keller guilty of a 2011 city murder that left the victim’s body stuffed in the trunk of a car.

Meanwhile, the jury on Thursday could not reach any verdicts against co-defendant Mack Edwards, 31, of Trenton, with the jury deliberating for hours over Edwards’ fate but being hung on all 17 counts at the trial’s conclusion.

Prosecutors say they have a strong case against Edwards and will try him again in hopes of securing a conviction at a future trial. The partial verdict is not exactly what the state was looking for, but the prosecution expressed satisfaction with the jury convicting Keller on the murder charges.Read more

Trenton Police Sgt. Astbury got ‘startled’ upon finding murdered body in trunk

Sgt. Jason Astbury received awards for valor and merit during a May 2010 police ceremony but was shaken eight months later when he discovered the murdered body of Dardar Paye stuffed inside the trunk of a Buick sedan.

Trenton Police Sgt. Jason Astbury

Trenton Police Sgt. Jason Astbury

“I was startled,” Astbury said Thursday during witness testimony. “I’ve never come across anything like that in my career.”

Astbury found the body in the trunk on Jan. 16, 2011, following an interstate police chase that began in Trenton and ended on Route 1 in Falls Township, Pennsylvania.

Paye, 33, was a U.S. Army veteran and Liberian immigrant who had been shot and killed in the basement of a Monmouth Street home in Trenton before getting placed in garbage bags and stuffed in the Buick’s trunk. Astbury said he had checked the body for a pulse, to no avail.Read more

Newark boy faces adult charges in 2016 Chambersburg murder case

The Newark boy accused of stabbing 27-year-old Carlos Leiva-Oviedo to death last year is now incarcerated on pretrial detention and facing murder charges as an adult.

Danny Saad, who recently turned 16, has been charged with murder, armed robbery, murder during commission of a crime, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon in connection with the Chambersburg stabbing death of Leiva-Oviedo.

Carlos Leiva-Oviedo

Carlos Leiva-Oviedo

During the early morning hours of June 14, 2016, Trenton Police responded to the intersection of Hudson and Genesee streets and found Leiva-Oviedo sprawled out on the street near his car, which was parked on Hudson. He suffered multiple stab wounds and was taken by ambulance to a hospital, where he died four hours later. Read more

Alleged gunman in fatal Chambersburg robbery gets post-indictment hearing

The alleged gunman who shot and killed Emilio Lopez during a 2012 robbery in Trenton’s Chambersburg neighborhood is gearing up for a post-indictment arraignment.

Emmanuel Cruz, 29, of Hamilton, is scheduled to appear in court 9 a.m. next Monday before Mercer County Superior Court Judge Darlene Pereksta. A grand jury indicted him last month on six counts, including murder, robbery and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose on allegations he fatally gunned down Lopez on the night of Nov. 16, 2012, near the intersection of Kent and Division streets. Read more

Two teens indicted in the 2016 killing of Ricardo Montalvan

Two teens have been indicted in the murder of Ricardo Montalvan Jr., the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office said on Friday.

Ricardo Montalvan Jr.

Ricardo Montalvan Jr.

Prosecutors said that Divon Ray, 17, and Zakeem Brown, 18, were each indicted on one count of first-degree murder, one count of first-degree felony murder, one count of first-degree robbery, one count of second-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and one count of second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon.

In 2016, the pair were waived up to adult court from juvenile, the Prosecutor’s office said.
Montalvan was shot in a parking lot in the 200 block of Whittakter Avenue on May 11, 2016 around 9:50 p.m.
The 23-year-old victim was found inside of a silver Toyota Camry with at least one gunshot wound.

Montalvan was transported to Capital Health Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 10:15 p.m.
Assistant Prosecutor Timothy Ward presented the case to the grand jury.

City man sentenced to 12 years in 2014 stabbing death of Alberto Saquic

When all was said and done Ernier Pacheco was sentenced to 12 years in state prison.

Ernier Pacheco

Ernier Pacheco

He plead to aggravated manslaughter in the 2014 stabbing death of 21-year-old Alberto Saquic outside of Chapala II on Morris Avenue. Pacheco was 18 at the time of the stabbing.

Speaking through an interpreter, Pacheco apologized to Alberto Saquic’s family.
“First of all, I’d like to apologize to the victim’s family for my actions,” Pacheco said. “It was never my intent for this to happen.” The 19-year-old said that he feels he is older now and has a different frame of mind than he did on the night that Saquic died.

He also apologized to the court, to which Judge Peter Warshaw replied “you don’t have to apologize to me.”
Saquic’s brother had intended to be in court, but a work conflict prevented him from being able to attend.

Assistant Prosecutor Kathleen Petrucci said that she’d relate Pacheco’s apology to the family, but noted that Friday appeared to be the first time that Pacheco had expressed remorse for his actions.

Judge Warshaw sentenced the 20-year-old in accordance with his plea agreement, but he was given jail credit for 873 days.He’d already spent in prison. Under the terms of his plea agreement he’ll have to serve 85 percent of his sentence before he is eligible for release. Typically, aggravated manslaughter carries between 10 to 30 years in prison.

Five indicted in Lyft murder of Amber Dudley

Amber Dudley

Amber Dudley

Five people were indicted last week in the murder of 27-year-old Amber Dudley, the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office said on Wednesday. Read more

Judge declares speedy mistrial in Wayne Bush murder trial over illicit witness testimony

The judge who presided over Wayne Bush’s murder trial abruptly declared a mistrial on Wednesday after a woman gave potentially inflammatory testimony on the witness stand, marking Mercer County’s second murder trial of 2017 to end without a verdict.

“Very reluctantly,” Superior Court Judge Robert Billmeier said to the 14 jurors, “I discharge you with the sincerest thanks of all of us — the prosecutor’s office, the defendant and me — for all the sacrifices you’ve made. … Thank you, and you are free to go.”

Superior Court Judge Robert Billmeier

Superior Court Judge Robert Billmeier

The trial began March 15 and ended exactly two weeks later without the jurors ever getting an opportunity to deliberate.

Prior to calling the jurors into his courtroom and dismissing them for good, Billmeier gave comments from the bench explaining why he was “very reluctantly” declaring a mistrial.

He said Denise Louis, the state’s final witness who testified on Tuesday, did not follow his guidance or the guidance of prosecutors who had clearly warned her about the court’s rules of engagement. Louis was specifically told and reminded of the fact that she was not allowed to tell the jury about a conversation she had heard between Bush and a third party involving the statement, “Somebody is going to catch this.”

But Louis did not play by the rules and “gave the very language that she had been told by the prosecutor not to tell the jury,” Billmeier said. “It was immediate cause for a mistrial.”

Bush, 39, has been incarcerated at the Mercer County Correction Center ever since he surrendered to the authorities on Aug. 30, 2013. He has been charged with murder, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose and unlawful possession of a weapon on allegations he armed himself with a handgun and shot and killed Trenton hip-hop lyricist Jafar “Young Farr” Lewis, 26, on Aug. 23, 2013.

Wayne Bush

Wayne Bush

John Furlong, Bush’s defense attorney, called for a mistrial following Tuesday’s testimony debacle, and Mercer County Assistant Prosecutor William Fisher consented to Furlong’s request. The fact that both sides supported a motion for retrial made it compelling for Billmeier to grant the request on Wednesday.

Another reason Billmeier cited for declaring a mistrial is the fact that the New Jersey Superior Court Appellate Division in a March 13 decision affirmed his prior decision to exclude Denise Louis from telling the jurors about the “Somebody is going to catch this” conversation.

The Appellate Division found the statement in question to be “ambiguous” and noted that Louis had “stated she did not understand what was meant by the comment.” The Appellate Division further suggested that the comment “is more prejudicial than probative because of its potential inflammatory nature.”

Try again

Due to Wednesday’s sudden mistrial, a future jury of newly selected jurors will have to decide Bush’s fate.

“Obviously this jury never will have the opportunity to deliberate and obviously never make a decision as to guilt or innocence of the defendant Wayne Bush,” Billmeier said. “Mr. Bush has been incarcerated for more than three and a half years, and he’s entitled to have a second trial start promptly.”

Billmeier has proposed for Bush’s retrial to start on Tuesday, May 30, the day after Memorial Day.

In the meantime, Bush is being held on $100,000 cash only bail, but his defense attorney has asked the court to consider a bail reduction or conditional release from jail pending final resolution of Bush’s pending murder retrial.

Billmeier scheduled an April 11 status conference to discuss how the state intends to proceed and determine whether a bail reduction or a non-monetary conditional release is warranted.

“I give tremendous credit to Judge Billmeier,” Furlong told The Trentonian on Wednesday, “because he had to preside over some very rough water. The state’s case was idiosyncratic, and I am being charitable. It is, I don’t want to say outrageous but very concerning that Wayne Bush is still detained. He is entitled to bail after this episode of trials that found ways to go wrong. As far as I’m concerned, the murder of Jafar Lewis remains unsolved and Wayne Bush and I can’t solve it for them.”

Furlong said he is “exasperated” that the state’s final witness “blew up” the initial trial but looks forward to his client being found not guilty at the forthcoming retrial.

“I will be there when the bell rings for round 2,” he said. “If round 2 is like round 1, the state may want to rethink its prosecution. … No two trials are alike, but I am confident the state’s trial isn’t going to get better. If anything, it is going to get worse.”

Earlier this year, a hung jury’s failure to reach a verdict in the Isiah Greene murder retrial prompted Superior Court Judge Anthony Massi to declare a mistrial in that case on Jan. 31.

Another Mercer County murder trial defendant, Zaire Jackson, was found not guilty by a jury of his peers on Feb. 17, underscoring the difficulty Mercer County prosecutors have had in winning murder trial convictions this year.

Third man in Rayshawn Ransom slaying sentenced to 12 years

A Trenton man who took a plea deal in connection with his involvement in the 2013 slaying of 19-year-old Rayshawn Ransom was sentenced Friday.

Dyquise Leonard had previously pled guilty to one count of attempted murder for which he would be sentenced to 12 years in prison. On Friday a Mercer County Judge imposed the term of 12 years the plea deal called for. Leonard will have to serve 10 years and two months before he is able to be released. He was sentenced concurrently to 5 years on another file.

Rayshawn Ransom

Rayshawn Ransom

“There are certain things that have happened and occurred within my life, and within my family’s life that I can … say ‘Hey, I would like to have justice done today in regards to my son’s life,” Raymond Salter-Ransom, said as he addressed the court. “Because I cannot hug my son, I cannot hold my son, and I can’t look at my son unless I look at pictures … his life was tooken away, my breath was tooken away and so has my wife’s and my other children.”

Ransom asked for justice and demanded the court do what was right.Read more