An alleged killer who has been jailed on $1 million cash bail since August 2014 has filed a federal class-action lawsuit seeking to get the New Jersey Criminal Justice Reform Act abolished.
Shaheed Brown, 34, of Trenton, is suing state officials on allegations he and others in his class are being deprived of speedy trials due to the bail reform law giving “preferential treatment” to defendants arrested after Jan. 1, 2017.
Shaheed Brown listens to testimony during one of his murder trials that ended in a hung jury. (FILE PHOTO)
Brown is accused of shooting and killing 20-year-old Enrico Smalley Jr. about 1:20 a.m. July 12, 2014. Trenton Police were dispatched to the corner of Poplar Street and North Clinton Avenue, where they found Smalley lying on the sidewalk in front of La Guira Bar suffering from multiple gunshot wounds, including one to the head. Smalley was rushed to Capital Health Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. Read more
The man who shot and killed 24-year-old Jahmir Hall had his 10-year prison sentence recently reduced thanks to a lenient judiciary.
Curtis J. Grier, 31, of Trenton, has been resentenced to seven years of incarceration for the 2014 slaying. He previously pleaded guilty to second-degree reckless manslaughter, admitting he fatally gunned Hall down about 12:30 a.m. April 19, 2014, in the streets of Trenton.
“Mr. Grier took it upon himself to arrange a reckoning,” Superior Court Judge Peter Warshaw said Nov. 10, 2016, when he sentenced the self-confessed killer to 10 years of state imprisonment. Months later, however, Warshaw reconsidered his judgment of conviction after the Appellate Division intervened.
Grier, who has already served more than one year at South Woods State Prison, received delayed leniency last month when Warshaw revisited the case on Appellate Division orders. Warshaw found Grier to be less dangerous at the Feb. 22 resentencing hearing.Read more
A co-defendant charged with murdering 19-year-old Lance Beckett has confessed to aggravated assault in a deal that recommends he serve three years behind bars.
Omar Kennedy, 36, of Trenton, pleaded guilty to an accusation charging him with third-degree aggravated assault, effectively bringing final resolution to the homicide case.
Omar Kennedy (Mugshots.com)
The person most responsible for Beckett’s violent death is convicted murderer Mada Eoff, 18, who was found guilty Jan. 25 in a trial by jury.
Beckett got shot and killed during the afternoon of Sept. 18, 2016, with Trenton Police arriving on the scene about 2:50 p.m. and finding his dead body lying in the grass along East Stuyvesant Avenue in the capital city. Read more
Horace J. Gordon is now a convicted murderer.
Horace Gordon (COURTESY OF SOUTHSIDE REGIONAL JAIL)
Gordon, 38, of Trenton, got convicted on all counts Thursday for shooting and killing 29-year-old Harvey Sharp in June 2015.
“The evidence was really clear in this case,” Mercer County Assistant Prosecutor Amy Devenny told The Trentonian after the verdict came down. “We’ll be recommending life in prison. That’s the least I can do, having the victim’s mother there. No mother should have to bury their child. Having her hear, ‘Guilty,’ that made it all worth it to me.”
Gordon claimed self-defense in the slaying, but a jury unanimously found him guilty of first-degree purposeful murder. Read more
Convicted gunman Isiah Greene is now a self-confessed killer.
Greene, 24, of Trenton, pleaded guilty Feb. 27 to second-degree manslaughter committed recklessly, admitting he killed Quaadir “Ace” Gurley at the Donnelly Homes housing complex in North Trenton.
Gurley was a 24-year-old father of six who suffered numerous gunshot wounds. He died from his injuries during the early morning hours of July 21, 2013. Read more
The man accused of killing “Big Face” is in big trouble.
A Mercer County grand jury has indicted 42-year-old Wade Williams, of Trenton, with the September slaying of Tyrone King, the North Trenton man known as “Big Face.”Read more
The alleged triggerman who shot and killed 29-year-old Harvey Sharp in June 2015 is maintaining his innocence as his case heads to trial.
Horace Gordon (COURTESY OF SOUTHSIDE REGIONAL JAIL)
A jury will determine whether Horace J. Gordon, 38, of Trenton, is guilty or not guilty of the grisly Chambersburg slaying. He is accused of gunning down Sharp on the first block of Cummings Avenue on June 24, 2015, then fleeing from New Jersey to southern Virginia, where he was later apprehended by a U.S. Marshals regional fugitive task force.
The shooting happened on Sharp’s birthday, and sources say it was the result of a “petty argument.” Read more
Alleged killer Isiah Greene has been convicted of second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm but a jury for the third time still could not reach a verdict on whether or not he murdered 24-year-old city man Quaadir “Ace” Gurley.
The jury issued the partial verdict last Thursday, getting hung on two counts — murder and possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose — but unanimously finding Greene guilty of unlawful possession of a firearm without a permit, according to the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office.
Greene, 24, is accused of shooting and killing Gurley in the early morning hours of July 21, 2013. The incident occurred at Trenton’s Donnelly Homes housing complex. Gurley, a father of six, suffered numerous gunshot wounds and died from his injuries. Read more
Coldhearted killer Mada Eoff, who was convicted last month on first-degree murder charges while also being acquitted of weapons offenses, now faces 30 years to life in state prison after a judge upheld his mixed verdict.
Eoff murdered 19-year-old Lance Beckett during the afternoon of Sept. 18, 2016, with Trenton Police arriving on the scene about 2:50 p.m. to discover the victim lying face down in the grass along East Stuyvesant Avenue in the capital city.
Lance Beckett (Facebook photo)
One shot struck Beckett in the neck, another shot struck him in the left shoulder and the kill shot entered through his back and exited through his chest, and he was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said. A jury on Jan. 25 found Eoff, 18, to be fully responsible for the murder and handed down a verdict finding him guilty on that count.
But prosecutors failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Eoff possessed a handgun without a permit and that he possessed it for the purpose to commit murder, so the jury found Eoff not guilty on both of the weapons offense counts. Read more
A 14-year-old city male was arrested last week in connection with the murder of Brian Ficzko.
The teen, who’s name was not released because he is a juvenile, is charged with murder, felony murder, robbery and related weapons offenses.
Law enforcement sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the case believe Ficzko was in the capital city to purchase drugs. Sources say he was shot during the course of a drug buy when the other party in the transaction decided to rob him. Read more