Trenton woman arrested in connection with murder of Paris France Way

Paris France Way (Contributed photo)

Paris France Way (Contributed photo)

When Johnathan Nealy learned that his friend of 22 years was stabbed to death last month, the blood rushed out of his head and his body turned cold.

Nealy said he learned about the stabbing death of 33-year-old Paris France Way after someone posted the link to a Homicide Watch article on Facebook.

“I laid there shocked, and reread the article multiple times,” Nealy said. “I’m still shocked to this day. Every couple of hours it’ll pop into my head, and I’ll think about him. I still expect to receive a text from him, or for him to ring my doorbell.”

Around 2 a.m. on May 31, police found Way lying in the intersection of Sherman and St. Joes avenues suffering from multiple stab wounds to the chest. Way later died at the hospital.

Prosecutors say the investigation revealed that Way and a female neighbor arrived on Sherman Avenue shortly before the murder. After exiting Way’s Hyundai Sonata, he and the woman started walking toward their separate homes. Prosecutors say 38-year-old Charlotte Carman then approached Way, which sparked a physical altercation.

According to prosecutors, Carman slashed all of the tires on the Hyundai, and then stabbed Way in the chest multiple times. Carman also took Way’s cellphone, along with $180 he had in his pocket.

Charlotte Carman

Charlotte Carman (pictured) is accused of stabbing and killing Paris Way

Carman was arrested in New Brunswick Friday evening by members of the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office and the U.S. Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force. She is charged with murder, felony murder, robbery, weapons offenses and criminal mischief in connection with Way’s death. Her bail was set at $770,000 cash or bond.

“That is absolutely outrageous,” Nealy said about the circumstances surrounding Way’s death. “I’m angry to hear that, and I’m beyond words.”

According to Nealy, Way left behind four sons, whom he constantly talked about. Way had just moved to Sherman Avenue about two months prior to his death, Nealy said, and he rented a room from a couple who lived on that street. Nealy said Way wasn’t the type of person to hang out in the streets all night, and he cared for his grandmother who lives in a medical facility.

“He was a man who cared for his children and loved his family,” Nealy said. “He really tried to live a good life.”

Nealy described Way as being an “old soul” who lived his life differently than others his age. Nealy said he spoke to Way about two weeks before his death and they talked about Way’s new job in waste management, and of course, his kids.

“He was keeping some items at my house and he stopped by after work to pick up some stuff,” Nealy said. “We talked about work and other random topics. He laughed and joked a lot.”

Iridious Jones and Way were cousins by marriage, and Jones said he knew Paris for about 20 years. Jones described him as the type of person who would always try and lift others’ spirit.

We didn’t hang out much, but we talked whenever we had the chance,” Jones said. “He was one of the coolest dudes I’ve met in a long time. No matter how bad your situation, when you saw Paris, he’d make you forget for a moment that you were struggling.”

Nealy said Way was dependable and always willing to lend a helping hand.

“He liked women, probably to a fault, but he was a really good guy and would give you the shirt off of his back,” Nealy said. “He wasn’t perfect, and no one is, but he by no means deserved what happened to him. I’ve watched him mature into a grown man with responsibilities, and I always wanted the best for him. I knew that I could always depend on him if I needed something.”

blog comments powered by Disqus