Trenton man in jail on drug offenses charged with murder of Steven Quinton Brannon

A city man who was arrested last week after police raided his home and found weapons and drugs has been charged in connection with the murder of former city boxer Steven Brannon.

On the evening of March 10, police found 46-year-old Steven Quinton Brannon and 58-year-old Marvin Williams suffering from gunshot wounds in the 200 block of East Hanover Street. Williams was shot in the hip and groin area and survived his injuries. Brannon was shot in the throat and later died at the hospital.

William Snead III

William Snead III

On Thursday last week, police raided the East Hanover Street home of 31-year-old William Snead III and found six grams of cocaine, 25 grams of marijuana, a Hi-Point .40 caliber handgun, a TW-11 stun gun, numerous rounds of ammunition and drug paraphernalia. Snead was arrested at the time of the raid and charged with various drug and weapons offenses.

Then, on Friday, prosecutors charged Snead with murder, aggravated assault and various weapons offenses in connection with the March 10 shooting that claimed Brannon’s life and injured Williams. Snead is now being held on $1 million cash or bond for the murder charges.

“We were wondering why it was taking so long for them to make an arrest,” Steven’s brother Bryant Brannon said.

According to Bryant, witnesses told the Brannon family that Snead was the last person seen talking to Steven. Witnesses also told the Brannon family that Snead ran from the scene of the crime shortly after the shooting.

Steven Quinton Brannon

Steven Quinton Brannon

Steven Brannon, who is also known as “Strength,” was a former city boxer who won both of his amatuer fights. But he never became a professional fighter because he got caught up in the street life. His brother Bryant was a professional boxer who once fought Roy Jones Jr. at Madison Square Garden.

“Steven was like a baby to us all,” Bryant said. “We were always there for him throughout his addiction trying to encourage him to get off of the streets before something like this happened. Unfortunately, he wasn’t able to save himself.”

A couple of days after his brother’s murder, Bryant said, Snead saw one of the other Brannon brothers on Hanover street and spoke to him using a traditional Muslim greeting. The Brannons thought the greeting was odd, Bryant said, considering the rumors about Snead being the killer.

“My brother just looked at him like ‘Come on, you have the nerve to speak to me,’” Bryant said.

Bryant said he then questioned whether Snead was indeed the shooter because he found it strange for him to be walking the streets as if nothing happened.

“I thought that if this guy had murdered Steven he wouldn’t be out in the open like this,” Bryant said.

Prosecutors have not yet disclosed what evidence led them to charge Snead in connection with Brannon’s death. But Bryant said he wouldn’t be surprised if the gun found in Snead’s home last week matches shell casings found at the scene of his brother’s murder.

This is something that will take a long time for my family to heal from,” Bryant said. “I want to thank the police for their swift action in this particular case. There’s a lot of unsolved murders in the city right now. We’re glad that police are doing what they’re getting paid to do.”

blog comments powered by Disqus